About Me

My photo
I am a daughter, a sister, a teacher, a reader, a writer, and above all, a dreamer. I started this blog as a requirement for a creative writing class, and we'll see whether I keep it going at the end of the year.

Sunday 25 September 2011

Commuting

I compose masterpieces of fiction in my mind while I commute in and out of Regina to the various schools where I sub. For some reason, as I travel at ten or fifteen kilometers faster than the posted legal speed limit, the words flow so much easier than when I sit down to write at my laptop. By the time I get home, the entire construct has dissipated and I am left with only the most general idea of what had been probably the best piece of short fiction anyone has ever heard of. Not like this rubbish you're reading now. Forced words, basically just pushed out of my fingertips and slopped across my keyboard. I feel bad for you for reading this. My intelligent writer friend says I need a recorder, so that I can save my genius with a click of a button, but I tried that and I have come to the conclusion that I am not really as composed a speaker as I am a writer; I need to look at my words on a screen and build upon them before I talk about them or attempt to string them together verbally. One might wonder how I manage to engage in any conversation at all, given my handicaps.  

1 comment:

  1. This is EXACTLY what I do, too! Sometimes I scribble down sentences as I'm driving, which is very dangerous, because I know I'll never remember them. It also happens just as I'm falling asleep and often during my sleep, and also in the shower. When I can't think of what to write, I take a shower and the words inevitable come. I get out, dripping wet, over and over again to write down the magical sentence fragments. Many times I have gotten up from the verge of falling asleep to write down a sentence or two that I knew I wouldn't remember in the morning. So nice to know I'm not alone in this!

    ReplyDelete