About Me

My photo
I am a daughter, a sister, a teacher, a reader, a writer, and above all, a dreamer. I started this blog as a requirement for a creative writing class, and we'll see whether I keep it going at the end of the year.

Wednesday 7 December 2011

Waiting for the Right Moment

There are links on my page to websites and blogs that tell me how to get published and advise me to go! try now! send it away now! You never know, they might publish it!
...but that is just not how I operate. I have legitimate excuses, people, for why I cannot send away my writing yet.
I am really busy. Two jobs, two cats, two classes, two families, two weddings, too many friends, four siblings, two of whom still need care and feeding because they are teenagers and if you don't spend time with them they will go down the wrong path because they feel unloved and need guidance.
My boyfriend doesn't require attention most of the time, but he misses me eventually.
My mother needs almost as much care and feeding as my younger siblings it seems sometimes...
Did you know I haven't gotten more than six hours of sleep in two years? Never. I never ever sleep. I don't sleep and these links are telling me to write write write and send send send! Sure, I guess I will just do that then. But not yet. when I have time to breathe and sleep all the way from elevan pm to 7 am, and take a deep breath and look at my clean apartment without feeling guilty about all the deadlines that are rushing up to meet me, then, I will pull out some writing and click on some links and I will see about publishing my writing.
That is why I have those links there on both sides of my blog homepage. That is why I follow six publishing houses on my twitter account, and countless literary agents and authors, despite the fact that I rarely read their tweets. It's for later. It will be there when I have time and I'm ready to focus on publishing. Alexander Mcleod wrote that you can't be a writer and a runner. Not, if you want to excel at something. Right now, it seems I am a runner, but I won't be forever.

Of course I realize that everyone in the flippin world is busy... and no I am not under the impression that people who publish their writiing have an excess of spare time. I am only talking about my life, and my feeling that I am under too much pressure right now to pursue it. But the information is there so that I can do it when I am ready, and that is a comforting knowledge. Indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment