About Me

My photo
I am a daughter, a sister, a teacher, a reader, a writer, and above all, a dreamer. I started this blog as a requirement for a creative writing class, and we'll see whether I keep it going at the end of the year.

Wednesday 7 December 2011

The Art of Creating

I guess there were expectations for my blog that I didn't exactly meet. I meant to, like for instance, I went on that walk, and took those pictures. I just never put them up. But there's a reason...

I never walk around my neighbourhood, I don't even do my runs in my neighbourhood. The only thing that happens in my neighbourhood is my car gets frequently vandalised there. So, I will put those pictures up tonight, but I feel you should know that they don't represent the space where I create. I am bound to this space because it is rare to find an apartment building that accepts pets, and its conveniently close to one of my jobs and there's a grocery store and a tim hortons all within a stones throw of my front door. So lets just say this is the foregrounding of my photos.

The walk I took is the only walk I do take in my neighbourhood. Because, you see, there is one more convience about the space I live in. It is through a playground and around the corner from my Grandparents house. So I walk there as frequently as I can, which is never frequently enough, and I learn things like how to bake bread and make soup, and sew patches and quilt useful items like a laptop sleeve, or I teach my grandmother how to surf the interweb and download patterns and recipes, or stream videos like simple exercises for seniors. It's the only walk worth taking in my neighbourhood.

It seems like I should mention here where I am when I actually do my creating.  I create at the most inconvenient times. When I have an armload of books at Chapters I will suddenly become possessed by an idea that won't let me go until I swipe some till tape and write it down. When I am running around the lake and there isn't a pen in sight, I suddenly know exactly how to say that thing I have been trying to say. When I am driving in my car and my music is up and I have 57 kilometers between me and a pen and paper. These are the moments when I create.

Isn't life funny...

No comments:

Post a Comment